The Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) provides a significant opportunity to strengthen Queensland as Australia’s premier tourism destination.
Through the Advancing Tourism Strategy, the Queensland Government plans to grow tourism and jobs by targeting four priority areas:
- Growing quality products, events and experiences
- Investing in infrastructure and access
- Building a skilled workforce and business capabilities
- Seizing the opportunity in Asia.
To support this strategy and maximise the opportunity that GC2018 provides, a GC2018 Tourism Action Plan is underway which aligns activity and amplifies the outcomes of the tourism industry’s combined and individual campaigns. This will be delivered through activity to:
- Drive an increased standard of service and guest experience on offer from the tourism industry
- Leverage from the delivery of the friendly games to define Queensland as an inclusive, family-friendly, affordable destination offering value for money
- Showcase Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage, arts, cultural and tourism experiences
- Work in partnership across the industry to build capability and capacity, and further promote Queensland’s tourism offerings to visitors, event organisers and investors. [www.embracing2018.com]