The 2017 Canada Summer Games Host Society and Co-Hosts have made a commitment to incorporate sustainability principles, strategies and actions into its planning and delivery activities for the Games.
Our mission is to reduce the environmental impact of the 2017 Canada Summer Games, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and demonstrate everyday actions people can take to fight climate change.
Our goals are to eliminate waste, conserve water, and reduce energy use during the 2017 Canada Summer Games.
How we’ll “Green the Games”
- Offer basic recycling
- Deliver a pre and post compost pilot program at select venues
- Reuse and repurpose materials
- Facilitate a food recovery program
- Reduce paper use in operation and administrative areas
- Offer education at waste stations
Encourage water conservation
- Provide temporary potable water stations at select venues
- Encourage the use of reusable water stations
- Increase the use of potable (tap water)
- Map water fountains and public water sources
- Where possible, reduce the number of PET- bottled water used during the Games
- Offer educational information at water stations
Promote energy and greenhouse gas reduction
- Promote ridesharing (transit and carpooling services)
- Encourage active transportation (biking, walking, skateboarding etc.)
- Where possible use shuttle, cycling, transit or carpooling options
- Offer a shuttle service
- Implement a no-idling policy
- Add bike parking at select venues
- Where possible, include a bike valet service
How you can help keep the Games green!
- Use a reusable water bottle and/or thermos for your beverages
- Use the appropriate waste, recycling and compost bins
- Carpool, cycle, take transit or a shuttle rather than travelling alone in a vehicle
- Observe idle-free zones (www.2017canadagames.ca)